Are you a New Year’s resolution person? This year, I created more of a mantra rather than lofty goals as I figure I have enough “new” on my plate adding another little person to our world.
Always in the back of my mind (and that of my husband Slaed’s) though is budgeting and saving money. Also of great importance and a major focus of our life? Our family’s mission to get out, experience, and explore. Can you guess one of the ways we accomplish both?
We’ve sung the praises of the Chinook Book before, and I’m so happy to be back again this year. All that we love about “the book” remains, but this year there are several new features that make the product (or “tool” as we like to think of it) even better and even more suitable for active families. That’s why I’m excited to share that we get to give away SIX Chinook Book mobile apps to 6 lucky readers!
Recap: What is the Chinook Book?
The Chinook Book (print and mobile app versions) is a coupon book containing loads of valuable saving opportunities on dining, entertainment, recreation, groceries, and more. The print version has coupons that are cut out and simply presented to the merchant at the time of purchase.
The mobile version works as a downloaded app on your phone (or mobile device). Pull the coupon up on your phone or mobile device and show the merchant your screen. A couple of clicks & your discount is applied!
- Users have a full access subscription. Instead of coupons expiring right before a new book/app comes out for the year (in the fall), users have access to coupons 12 months after the app is activated. Before, all the coupons would just expire at the end of August and disappear, but now they remain for a full year after the subscription is activated.
- With the app, users have access to ALL of the other cities where Chinook Book exists, so if you happen to be traveling to one of the other cities, you’ll get to load all the coupons & take advantage of big savings. With family in Denver & the Bay Area, and Portland just a few hours away, this is HUGE for us! Chinook has coupon packages in the following cities:
- Denver, CO
- The Bay Area
- Minneapolis, MN
- Portland, OR
- Seattle, WA
- And limited (but expanding packages) in…
- Sacramento, CA
- Corvallis & Eugene, OR
- Salt Lake City, UT
- Seattle’s Chinook book has an additional 120 new coupons compared to last year’s book! Here are a few from various categories that I am most excited about…
- Araya’s Place–A vegetarian Thai restaurant right in our neighborhood
- Assembly Hall Juice and Coffee–One of Tom Douglas’ newest establishments
- Capitol Cider–I’m a huge fan of cider & love that they offer a gluten-free menu
- Family Activities:
- Pacific Science Center–Can’t wait to explore the center again now that Bergen is a little older. Just getting to experience the butterfly room is enough to go!
- Burke Museum–We’ve never been to this museum located in the University District, and I’d love to see the mask that inspired the Seahawks logo before the exhibit ends this summer.
- Kids Discovery Museum (Bainbridge Island)–With tons of coupons on Bainbridge Island (including ferry discounts), we could create a whole day of savings. Check out our Father’s Day of Savings on Bainbridge from a few years back.
- Bloedel Reserve–An amazing public garden on Bainbridge Island…
- Issaquah Paddle Sports–Would love to do some paddleboarding this summer!
- Center for Wooden Boats–Would love to rent a canoe or row boat and paddle around Lake Union.
- There are now “seasonal” offers included in the app. These coupons come and go every two months, and there is a special tab (under the coupon section) where they can be accessed. I love how this keeps “the book” fresh, and creates new opportunities for us to check out places around our region AND SAVE!
Our Savings Adventures so far…
We’ve only had the 2015 Chinook Book and app for a few weeks now, but we’ve ready put it to good use saving on coffee, lunch, and a visit to our local drug store. The most memorable savings event though was a recent trip to the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium in Tacoma. With the free youth or tot admission with the purchase of an adult admission, Bergen was able to visit the zoo and aquarium at no charge.
While we are members of the Woodland Park Zoo in our home city of Seattle, we’d never taken Bergen (or Georgia) to our “sister zoo” to the south. We loved the opportunity to see a different set of animals with such a large focus on sealife. The walruses were some of the most memorable animals for our family. We still can’t get over their massive size! Getting to watch the tiger cubs romp and play was pretty special too!
To Enter the Giveaway of 6 Chinook Book Mobile Subscriptions:
- Easy: Leave a comment here on the blog telling us you’d like to win!
- Bonus Entries-Your name will be entered again depending on how many bonus entries you submit thus increasing your chances of winning (make sure to tell us in your comment which of these you did or already do!):
6 Mobile Subscription Packs will be given away! Contest ends and all entries must be received by Friday, 1/30/15 at 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time. Winners will be chosen at random and notified on Monday, 2/2/15. Giveaway open to U.S. residents 18 years or older. After notification, winners have 3 days to connect. Questions? Don’t hesitate to contact me!
Many thanks to Chinook Book-Seattle & Puget Sound for providing print and mobile packs for giveaway and review. All opinions about the books and app are my own.